Thursday, July 2, 2009

Los Primeros...Pimientos del Padron

Yessss!...yesterday @ 8 pm I harvest the first "crop" (2 in total) of my peppers, Pimientos del padron witch where this first plant to flower and pollinate into the beautifully 1 1/4" peppers.They are suppose to have a ratio of 1 to 10 being spicy in the plant ( hence the nick name "Spanish roulette peppers") but so far two out of two have been spicy.
My best guest it's that they needed to be picked about a week or so ago, on Spain they are picked when the seeds have form about half way and it's a common believe that the longer that you leave it on the plant the hotter they will get. I have a few personal plants at home in witch I will leave the peppers until they ripen to a beautifully deep brite
red, most probably hotter than their brothers.


I got lucky today...Farmer Jeff (a local framer and friend) came today in the door with 5# of his Local Padron Peppers and some red heirloom tomatoes. this means that today i will make the first dish on the project with this awesome peppers, "Local Pimientos del Padron" with heirloom tomatoes, lemon verbena oil and sea salt.



DON'T FORGET to Click on the demo's for the preparation of this dish on my YOUTUBE channel , stop by in a few days for the recipe.

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to hearing more about your harvest. I have also grown some peppers, from seed! So far lots of growth but nothing else
    :( Still I'm hopeful even though the UK weather is not so great. Best of luck! Aussie in the UK.

    ReplyDelete